Bulldogs shut down Eagles in home opener

The Bulldogs started their season with a big win over the Ruskin Eagles

Tangela Taylor/Amber Henderson

Hallie Dixon, Staff Writer

The Grandview High school varsity football team started its season with an impressive win against the Ruskin Eagles. The Eagles were anticipating an easy win, but the tenacious Grandview defense had a different idea.

As a starting corner, Hunter Pittman stated, “ I want to lock up my side of the field, keep outside runs to a minimum, and shut down as many passes as possible. I want to be a lock up corner Friday night.”

With the score ending at 33-6, many can say he did his job. The vicious defense was determined to shut down the Eagles offense from start to finish.

On the other side of the ball, the offense rolled as well.

“I feel very comfortable. I know the men up front will get the job done. I’ll just have to be an athlete and make sure my part is taken care of,” said junior running back, Jakori Bell.

The offense played smoothly as a whole, and only had a few mistakes as the game continued.

Grandview’s offense was coordinated with outside passes, a solid rushing attack, and an impressive quarterback keeper that earned key first downs.

“I feel like if running the ball was having success then I’ll do whatever it takes to win,” said senior quarterback Darrian Aldridge.

After getting injured from a vicious hit during a running play, Aldridge broke his collarbone. He continued to play through it, but decided it was best to let his team and junior quarterback Reggie Collier finish the game.

Aldridge has great confidence in his team.

“I don’t believe my team will take a step back at all for two reasons, I will be around just like I was before, and I have complete faith in Reggie and the rest of the quarterbacks to get the job done,” Aldridge said.

With Aldridge out and Collier in, Grandview’s offense stayed on top and continued playing aggressively. By halftime, the Bulldogs were winning 20-6.

When they took the field to start the second half, they showed  no mercy.

A few minutes into the third quarter, the game was delayed when the lights went out on the visitor’s side of the field. The lights remained out for the rest of the game, but that didn’t slow Grandview’s defense down.

Continuing the third quarter, Bulldog defensive end Cartez Crook-Jones recovered a fumble around the 30 yard line and plowed his way through every Eagle that tried to take him down. When he reached the end zone Grandview’s fans went wild, with many yelling “Way to go, freshman!”

“Being a freshman, It felt weird playing with upperclassman, but being able to score in my first game, it made me realize there’s a lot of positive encounters to come my way as a defensive end,” Cartez Crook-Jones said.

Defensive coach Shannon Moore was pleased with the squad’s effort.

“This upcoming season will be very good, a lot of good talent has worked very hard this summer to improve upon the success from last year.”

Concluding the game, the Bulldogs stayed together as one pack finishing it out strong and as a team. Junior defensive end, Devon Harris stated, “I think all the work we put in this summer has payed off.”