Student-Athlete Profile: Essence Kendall

She’s Only a Junior!

A'Myah Bankston, Staff Writer

There are many busy athletes here at Grandview High School and junior Essence Kendall happens to be one of many. “I play three sports – volleyball, basketball, and I run track,” Kendall stated. Track happens to be Essence’s favorite sport. She has been a part of track and field since she was four years old, along with her family by her side. “I just have a passion for it.” “It’s really fun,” Kendall said. 

Essence wants to attend college for sports, but also she wants to study sports medicine and sociology. One of Essence’s dream schools is North Carolina A&T. 

Juggling sports and academics can be tough and students may fall behind sometimes. Essence gets help from her teachers, friends, and even her parents so she’s able to stay on the right track. “I try to do my assignments when I see them before we even start on them,” Kendall explained. 

Dealing with many sports, academics, and jobs on the side could be challenging and students may begin to stress about dealing with so much. “Don’t be too hard on yourself. Sports are more mental than physical. Have fun,” Kendall said. 

Students like Essence know how important it is to be involved in sports and other activities and take every opportunity it is available. You will have many ups and downs, and face a lot of adversity but overcoming it all will be the best part. 

“Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” – Roy T. Bennett.