Fall theatre production debuts Nov. 17

Gia Love, Staff Writer

Grandview’s Fall Play

Grandview High School’s Theatre Department would love to see your support for their play You Can’t Take It With You Nov 19-21. Spread the word throughout the school!

Students, family, and community members are all invited to see the play. The story takes place in the large house of an eccentric family in New York City. Its main idea is telling how various characters, from completely different backgrounds, fall in love. It also includes not paying for taxes and keeping snakes and the manufacture of fireworks in the basement. It’s a comedy appropriate for the entire family.

One character that will help add spunk to the show is Borris Kolenkhov, played by Deante Belton. Mr. Kolenkhov is a Russian family friend and the dance instructor of Essie, played by Cara Dal Porto, and his character is “FLAMboyant.” Belton says, “I love my character so much that I don’t want to be anyone else. When I first got this character, I was not happy with this. I was very salty and very angry, but throughout rehearsal, I became inspired to be the character.” Belton even feels he is his own favorite character, so he may be yours too.

Another interesting character in the play who will spike laughter from the audience is Essie, played by Cara Dal Porto. “She’s very childlike, and she’s very dead set on her dreams,” says Dal Porto. Essie is also known to be a very bad dancer in the play, which was said by the character Kolenkhov himself! But Essie does not have a care in the world, because if she loves to do something, she’s going to do it, as Dal Porto previously explained.

Now that you know two characters, hopefully you wish to know more. Support the theatre program and get some laughs by watching peers or even young adults do their thing on stage. Everyone within Grandview is welcome to enjoy the play the Theatre Department has worked very hard for. Hope to see you there!

Reserved tickets for the 7 p.m. shows Nov. 19-21 are $5 for adults and $3 for students. Email or call [email protected] or 816-316-5838 to reserve.

Nov. 17 is the traditional dinner theatre, where Grandview High School ProStart Culinary Arts program students prepare and serve dinner before the show. It will be at 6 p.m. in the front foyer of the school.