Girl’s golf team expects season of growth

Serena San Nicolas, Reporter/Photographer

Score one for the Lady Bulldogs! The girls golf team is taking a huge swing with this year’s season. This season, new additions to the team are being made. Thankfully, there are more golfers.

Coach Kelly says, “We have two returning players and three new players. It will definitely be a learning curve.”

Ellie Maxwell and Jer’Mika Jones are the two returning players this year. Coach Kelly can already see the potential of the new players.

“I believe the two returning players will improve and I already see the improvement,” Kelly said.

So far the girls golf team has had just a few events, but they haven’t determined how the season will go. The most anticipated match this season is against the Bulldogs’ rivals, Raytown South, on Sept 22.

Sophomore and returning golfer Jer’Mika Jones is looking forward to this season. She has stayed true to her school and will always be a big part of the Bulldog family.

“I’m excited. This might be my last year at GHS so I want to do my best,” says Jones. There is no doubt that Jer’Mika will make the Bulldogs proud. “Golf is a sport where nothing is down pat. I am where I was last season. But I did improve some,” she added.

For Stephanie Shatto, being involved in a new sport is not as intimidating to her.

“There’s a lot of change for me, but it’s not that hard,” Shatto explained, adding that walking up and down the hills is going to be her biggest challenge this year. Stephanie is looking at playing golf at the next level.