GHS selects Elks students of the month for November

Destiny Hanks and Rodney Murray were recently selected Elks Students of the Month at GHS.

Amber Henderson

Amber Henderson, Staff Writer

Each month two GHS students are selected to represent the school as Elks Students of the month. This month’s Elk’ Teens of the Month are seniors Destiny Hanks and Rodney Murray.

Destiny is known for her creative and organizational skills. She worked this summer for the A+ Program as a tutor during Grandview’s summer school. She recently attended the 8th grade GMS Luncheon as a mentor. Her organizational skills will serve her well as the manager for the boys baseball team this year.  In addition to her academic pursuits, she serves her community. When she was in the National Junior Honor Society, she worked at the Ronald McDonald House; she has been back to serve again. Last summer she worked with children with special needs as a hands-on tutor for home-schooled students.

Rodney has been a member of the Future Business Leaders of America for three years; he has also been a member of SWAG (Students With a Goal) and SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions). Rodney is also serving as the 2014-2015 Optimist Club President. His commitment to community service has been a part of his role in the Genesis Missionary Baptist Church in Raytown. He concentrates on helping younger students by serving as a cadet teacher for fourth graders at Martin City Elementary.