Garden blossoms under care of students

Tayla Alexander, Reporter/Photographer

Salad, anyone?

Mr. Cooper’s B6 ecology class is growing a garden in the school’s courtyard. The class started this project the first day of school and it will end when the weather begins to get cold in October or November.

This project is to help students learn to grow gardens, and to understand why gardens are a useful tool that can save money.

“I want to teach students that they have the ability to grow their own food in their backyard,” Mr. Cooper said. “I think there’s a lack of knowledge regarding gardens, and gardens are more beneficial than people think.”

Jordyn Harris and her group are planting lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, and snap peas in garden bed 1.

“We chose these vegetables because they are all colorful, and will look really pretty in the garden,” Jordyn Harris said.

In Garden bed 4, Cjay Johnson and his group are planting lettuce, cabbage, easter egg radishes, red giant cabbage.

“They will probably be worth more money and weigh more,” Cjay said as the reason for why his group chose these vegetables to plant.

Each student gets to take home the vegetables they have planted to make at home into dinner.

“This is the fourth year doing the vegetable garden, and this is the best group so far. All eight beds look healthy, and it looks like there is going to be great produce when it this project is over,” Mr. Cooper stated.